In a decisive move to prevent a potential disaster, Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, has called for the immediate closure of the waterway between Eko Bridge and Carter Bridge in Lagos State, following serious structural damage to the Eko Bridge caused by illegal dredging activities.
During an inspection tour of Lagos bridges, Umahi warned that continued dredging near major bridges could lead to catastrophic collapses, and urged Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to enforce the closure without delay.
“The dredger hit a pier cap, which caused the pier to tumble and sink,” Umahi revealed. “This is a critical situation. We must act fast to avoid tragedy.”
Dredging Near Bridges Now a National Emergency
The minister expressed shock that dredging activities were still ongoing, despite a clear Federal Executive Council ban placed four months ago prohibiting dredging within a 10km radius of all bridges nationwide.
“I personally observed active dredging near the Third Mainland Bridge as well. This is unacceptable,” Umahi said. “Dredging weakens the foundations of our bridges and puts millions of lives at risk.”
He confirmed that the dredger responsible for the damage had been traced, and its operator arrested, with the Federal Government set to take strict action against those involved.
Public Warned: No Parking or Loading on Bridges
Umahi also issued a stern warning to the general public, urging Nigerians to refrain from parking, trading, or loading vehicles on bridges, stressing that such activities further strain the already aging infrastructure.
“Our bridges were not designed to be loading bays or markets. Every illegal use of these structures endangers lives,” he emphasized.
FG Prioritizes Bridge Safety Across Nigeria
The call for the Eko Bridge waterway closure comes as part of a broader effort by the Ministry of Works to ensure bridge safety, structural integrity, and accident prevention across the country.
“We are committed to protecting the lives of Nigerians and preserving our road and bridge infrastructure. This will require cooperation from states, enforcement agencies, and the public,” Umahi said.
What This Means for Lagos Residents:
-
Eko and Carter Bridge users may experience disruptions as closures are implemented.
-
Waterway transport operators near affected areas will be halted temporarily.
-
Dredging companies are now under strict scrutiny nationwide.
-
Lagosians are advised to report illegal dredging or bridge misuse to authorities.
Author
-
Ochapa Monday Ogbaji is a skilled Blogger, Web Designer, Content Writer, and Cybersecurity Practitioner. With a B.Sc. in Biology, he combines his scientific knowledge with his expertise in digital content creation and online security. Ochapa contributes to Newsbino.com by delivering insightful, informative content while ensuring the protection of digital spaces.
View all posts