The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has defended the controversial movement restriction imposed ahead of the FCT area council elections, insisting that the decision was taken with the full approval of President Bola Tinubu.
Wike made the clarification on Saturday while monitoring the conduct of the elections across several parts of Abuja, including Garki, Karu, Karshi, Wasa, Apo, and Ketti.
Reacting to criticism from FCT Senator Ireti Kingibe, the minister dismissed claims that he acted unilaterally, describing the accusations as unfair and misleading.
“It is unfortunate. I thought as a senator she should be able to listen carefully. I never imposed any curfew on my own. I clearly stated that it was done with the approval of Mr. President,” Wike said.
The controversy followed Wike’s Thursday broadcast, during which he declared Friday a work-free day and announced a restriction of movement across the FCT from 8 p.m. on Friday to 6 p.m. on Saturday to ensure smooth conduct of the council elections.
Senator Kingibe had faulted the decision, describing it as unacceptable in a democratic society. Speaking during a televised interview, she argued that sweeping movement restrictions without wide consultation undermine democratic principles and infringe on citizens’ rights.
“The people of the FCT are not subjects of a dictatorship. They are citizens of a democratic republic. Any restriction on their movement must be justified, transparent, and subjected to public scrutiny,” she said.
While acknowledging the importance of maintaining security, Kingibe warned against what she described as executive overreach, stressing that public safety should not be used as a blanket excuse to curtail civil liberties.
In response, Wike said he would not engage in prolonged exchanges with the senator, adding that the outcome of the election would speak for itself.
“When the results come out, then we will know. I will not join issues,” he stated.
Commenting on the conduct of the polls, the minister noted that voter turnout was relatively low, especially in central areas of the capital. However, he praised residents for maintaining peace and commended officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies for their professionalism.
Wike also confirmed that no major security incidents had been recorded as of the time of his assessment, describing the exercise as largely calm and orderly.
He further applauded INEC’s deployment of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System, urging residents to remain patient and law-abiding until the entire election process is concluded.
Author
-
Ngbede Silas Apa, a graduate in Animal Science, is a Computer Software and Hardware Engineer, writer, public speaker, and marriage counselor contributing to Newsbino.com. With his diverse expertise, he shares valuable insights on technology, relationships, and personal development, empowering readers through his knowledge and experience.
View all posts

Be the first to comment