By NewsBino
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.
Adeleke disclosed the decision in an interview with Channels Television shortly after he was declared the winner of the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election, securing another term in office.
Adeleke Says Tinubu’s Intervention Resolved the Dispute
According to the governor, his decision to end the legal battle followed an intervention by President Bola Tinubu.
Adeleke said the President personally contacted him and that the intervention had helped resolve the disagreement surrounding the account freeze.
The governor subsequently instructed the state Attorney-General to discontinue the legal action against the EFCC.
“I’m putting them behind,” Adeleke said, explaining that he had instructed the Attorney-General to drop the case following the President’s intervention.
Why Osun Took the EFCC to Court
The dispute began after the EFCC restricted access to an Osun State Government account as part of an investigation into the alleged handling of approximately ₦11 billion in Ecology Funds, intervention funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The Adeleke administration challenged the action in court, arguing that the restriction was unlawful and had affected the government’s operations.
The suit, filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja, sought to challenge the EFCC’s action and included a claim for ₦2 billion in exemplary damages against the commission.
Tinubu Directed EFCC to Lift the Restriction
The situation changed after President Tinubu intervened in the dispute.
Reports indicate that the President directed the EFCC to lift the restriction on the Osun government account and discontinue the related legal action.
The intervention came amid concerns about the timing of the EFCC action, which occurred shortly before the Osun governorship election.
The development subsequently paved the way for Adeleke to announce his decision to withdraw the state’s lawsuit.
Adeleke Discusses EFCC Invitations to Officials
The Osun governor also addressed reports that some of his aides and government officials had been invited by the EFCC for questioning.
Adeleke said he had instructed his lawyers to assist those affected and ensure that they responded appropriately to the commission’s inquiries.
He maintained that his administration had nothing to hide and said some officials who were questioned were subsequently released.
Governor Raises Political Concerns
While agreeing to move beyond the dispute with the EFCC, Adeleke continued to express concerns about the circumstances surrounding some of the actions involving his administration.
He alleged that political interests may have influenced some of the developments involving federal agencies.
However, he also said he did not believe President Tinubu was necessarily aware of every action taken by federal agencies before the President personally intervened in the Osun account dispute.
Adeleke Begins Second Term After Election Victory
The development came shortly after Adeleke secured re-election as Osun State governor.
He won the August 15 governorship election with 511,067 votes, defeating APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes. Adeleke won 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji won 11.
Following his victory, Adeleke called for unity in the state and pledged to focus on development during his second term.
What Happens to the EFCC Case?
With Adeleke directing the Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit, the immediate legal confrontation between the Osun government and the EFCC appears to be moving toward an end.
The development also highlights the role of political and institutional intervention in resolving disputes between state governments and federal agencies.
For now, attention will shift to the formal withdrawal of the case and the continued investigation by the EFCC into the financial matters that prompted the account restriction in the first place.
Conclusion
Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the Osun State Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit against the EFCC following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention in the dispute over the state’s frozen account.
The decision marks a significant change from the confrontation that began earlier in August, when the Osun government challenged the EFCC’s action in court.
As Adeleke begins his second term following his re-election, the governor has indicated his willingness to put the dispute behind him while continuing to support officials who may be required to respond to ongoing EFCC inquiries.
Source: TheCable

Be the first to comment