By Ene Rebecca
August 21, 2026
The Federal Government has withdrawn its cross-appeal seeking the mandatory death penalty against Nnamdi Kanu, the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), according to his Special Counsel, Aloy Ejimakor.
Ejimakor disclosed the development on Thursday, saying he had received formal communication from the government confirming that it would no longer pursue the aspect of its appeal concerning the mandatory imposition of the death penalty.
In a statement shared on social media, Ejimakor said the government had informed the relevant parties that it did not intend to proceed with its cross-appeal on the death penalty. He also said representations had been made to the government concerning the mandatory imposition of capital punishment and its alleged breach of international law.
“By virtue of a formal communication I received 2 days ago, I can confirm that the Nigerian government ‘does not intend to pursue their cross appeal on the question of the mandatory death penalty’ against Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. Case closed,” Ejimakor wrote.
The Federal Government had previously challenged the decision of the Federal High Court in Abuja, which sentenced Kanu to life imprisonment rather than death after his conviction on seven terrorism-related counts in November 2025.
Justice James Omotosho, who presided over the case, declined the prosecution’s request for the death penalty and imposed life imprisonment on several counts, with other sentences to run concurrently. The judge cited, among other considerations, international developments and the growing move away from capital punishment.
Kanu’s legal team subsequently appealed against his conviction and sentence, while the Federal Government filed a cross-appeal, including a challenge to the sentence imposed by the trial court. With the latest decision, according to Ejimakor, the government will no longer pursue the portion of its cross-appeal seeking the mandatory death penalty.
Kanu remains in custody at the Sokoto Custodial Centre, while his appeal against his conviction and sentence continues.
Author
-
View all posts
Ene Rebecca is an emerging journalist, voice-over artist, and event host. She has gained practical media experience via her contribution through content production, media reporting/support and events activities.

Be the first to comment